String theory provides one of the most deepest insights into quantum gravity. Its single most central and profound result is the gauge/gravity duality, i.e. the emergence of gravity from gauge theory. The two examples of M(atrix)-theory and the AdS/CFT correspondence, together with the fundamental phenomena of quantum entanglement, are of paramount importance to many fundamental problems including the physics of black holes (in particular to the information loss paradox), the emergence of spacetime geometry and to the problem of the reconciliation of general relativity and quantum mechanics. In this article an account of the AdS/CFT correspondence and the role of quantum entanglement in the emergence of spacetime geometry using strictly the language of quantum field theory is put forward.
- Pub Date:
- October 2021
- High Energy Physics - Theory;
- High Energy Physics - Experiment;
- High Energy Physics - Lattice;
- High Energy Physics - Phenomenology
- Appeared under the title (The AdS/CFT correspondence) as the final chapter of the second volume of the book (A Modern Course in Quantum Field Theory) published with Institute of Physics (IOP) in 2019. Volume 1: https://iopscience.iop.org/book/978-0-7503-1479-4. Volume 2: https://iopscience.iop.org/book/978-0-7503-1483-1