Examining the behaviour of state-of-the-art convolutional neural networks for brain tumor detection with and without transfer learning
Distinguishing normal from malignant and determining the tumor type are critical components of brain tumor diagnosis. Two different kinds of dataset are investigated using state-of-the-art CNN models in this research work. One dataset(binary) has images of normal and tumor types, while another(multi-class) provides all images of tumors classified as glioma, meningioma, or pituitary. The experiments were conducted in these dataset with transfer learning from pre-trained weights from ImageNet as well as initializing the weights randomly. The experimental environment is equivalent for all models in this study in order to make a fair comparison. For both of the dataset, the validation set are same for all the models where train data is 60% while the rest is 40% for validation. With the proposed techniques in this research, the EfficientNet-B5 architecture outperforms all the state-of-the-art models in the binary-classification dataset with the accuracy of 99.75% and 98.61% accuracy for the multi-class dataset. This research also demonstrates the behaviour of convergence of validation loss in different weight initialization techniques.