We report on the detection of source noise in the time domain at 162 MHz with the Murchison Widefield Array. During the observation, the flux of our target source Virgo A (M87) contributes only $∼$1% to the total power detected by any single antenna; thus, this source noise detection is made in an intermediate regime, where the source flux detected by the entire array is comparable with the noise from a single antenna. The magnitude of source noise detected is precisely in line with predictions. We consider the implications of source noise in this moderately strong regime on observations with current and future instruments.
Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia
- Pub Date:
- April 2021
- techniques: interferometric;
- instrumentation: interferometers;
- radio continuum: general;
- radio lines: general;
- radiation mechanisms: general;
- Astrophysics - Instrumentation and Methods for Astrophysics
- 8 pages, 4 figures. Accepted for publication in 'Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia'