In this paper, we propose NU-GAN, a new method for resampling audio from lower to higher sampling rates (upsampling). Audio upsampling is an important problem since productionizing generative speech technology requires operating at high sampling rates. Such applications use audio at a resolution of 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz, whereas current speech synthesis methods are equipped to handle a maximum of 24 kHz resolution. NU-GAN takes a leap towards solving audio upsampling as a separate component in the text-to-speech (TTS) pipeline by leveraging techniques for audio generation using GANs. ABX preference tests indicate that our NU-GAN resampler is capable of resampling 22 kHz to 44.1 kHz audio that is distinguishable from original audio only 7.4% higher than random chance for single speaker dataset, and 10.8% higher than chance for multi-speaker dataset.
- Pub Date:
- October 2020
- Computer Science - Sound;
- Computer Science - Artificial Intelligence;
- Computer Science - Computation and Language;
- Computer Science - Machine Learning;
- Electrical Engineering and Systems Science - Audio and Speech Processing