Radio Frequency powered Cognitive Radio Networks (RF-CRN) are likely to be the eyes and ears of upcoming modern networks such as Internet of Things (IoT), requiring increased decentralization and autonomous operation. To be considered autonomous, the RF-powered network entities need to make decisions locally to maximize the network throughput under the uncertainty of any network environment. However, in complex and large-scale networks, the state and action spaces are usually large, and existing Tabular Reinforcement Learning technique is unable to find the optimal state-action policy quickly. In this paper, deep reinforcement learning is proposed to overcome the mentioned shortcomings and allow a wireless gateway to derive an optimal policy to maximize network throughput. When benchmarked against advanced DQN techniques, our proposed DQN configuration offers performance speedup of up to 1.8x with good overall performance.
- Pub Date:
- July 2020
- Computer Science - Machine Learning;
- Computer Science - Networking and Internet Architecture;
- Electrical Engineering and Systems Science - Signal Processing;
- Statistics - Machine Learning
- 5 pages, 2 figures, accepted in IEEE VTC-Fall 2019