This paper is about an encryption based approach to the secure implementation of feedback controllers for physical systems. Specifically, Paillier's homomorphic encryption is used to digitally implement a class of linear dynamic controllers, which includes the commonplace static gain and PID type feedback control laws as special cases. The developed implementation is amenable to Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) realization. Experimental results, including timing analysis and resource usage characteristics for different encryption key lengths, are presented for the realization of an inverted pendulum controller; as this is an unstable plant, the control is necessarily fast.
- Pub Date:
- February 2019
- Computer Science - Cryptography and Security;
- Electrical Engineering and Systems Science - Signal Processing;
- Electrical Engineering and Systems Science - Systems and Control;
- Mathematics - Optimization and Control
- Control Engineering Practice, Volume 97, April 2020, 104350