Context. The accuracy of orbit determination has a strong impact on the scientific output of the Space VLBI mission RadioAstron.
Aims: The aim of this work is to improve the RadioAstron orbit reconstruction by means of sophisticated dynamical modelling of its motion in combination with multi-station Doppler tracking of the RadioAstron spacecraft.
Methods: The improved orbital solution is demonstrated using Doppler measurements of the RadioAstron downlink signal and by correlating VLBI observations made by RadioAstron with ground-based telescopes using the enhanced orbit determination data.
Results: Orbit determination accuracy has been significantly improved from ~600 m in 3D position and ~2 cm/s in 3D velocity to several tens of metres and mm/s, respectively.
Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Pub Date:
- January 2015
- techniques: interferometric;
- instrumentation: interferometers;
- instrumentation: miscellaneous;
- Astrophysics - Instrumentation and Methods for Astrophysics
- 8 pages, 8 figures. Astronomy and Astrophysics, accepted