We theoretically study laser driven nonequilibrium states in the Kitaev honeycomb model with a magnetoelectric cross coupling. We show that a topological spin liquid with a gapless chiral edge mode emerges when we apply an elliptically or circularly polarized laser. This is a strongly correlated quantum spin version of the Floquet topological insulator. In the topological phase, the edge mode is made from Majorana fermions and the bulk has gapped non-Abelian anyon excitations.
- Pub Date:
- April 2014
- Condensed Matter - Strongly Correlated Electrons;
- Condensed Matter - Disordered Systems and Neural Networks;
- Condensed Matter - Statistical Mechanics;
- Condensed Matter - Superconductivity
- 5 pages, 5 figures, 2 column version