Recent observations have revealed the structural properties of the dark and luminous mass distribution in spirals. These results led to the vision of a new and amazing scenario. The investigation of single and coadded objects has shown that the rotation curves of spirals follow, from their centers out to their virial radii, an universal profile that implies a tuned combination of their stellar disk and dark halo mass distributions. This, alongside with accurate mass modeling of individual galaxies, poses important challenges to the presently theoretically favored $\Lambda$CDM Cosmology.
- Pub Date:
- February 2013
- Astrophysics - Astrophysics of Galaxies;
- Astrophysics - Cosmology and Nongalactic Astrophysics;
- General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology;
- High Energy Physics - Phenomenology
- 10 pages, 7 figures, Invited Review at VIII International Workshop on the Dark Side of the Universe, June 10-15, 2012 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil