We study the expected topological properties of Cech and Vietoris-Rips complexes built on i.i.d. random points in R^d. We find higher dimensional analogues of known results for connectivity and component counts for random geometric graphs. However, higher homology H_k is not monotone when k > 0. In particular for every k > 0 we exhibit two thresholds, one where homology passes from vanishing to nonvanishing, and another where it passes back to vanishing. We give asymptotic formulas for the expectation of the Betti numbers in the sparser regimes, and bounds in the denser regimes. The main technical contribution of the article is in the application of discrete Morse theory in geometric probability.
- Pub Date:
- October 2009
- Mathematics - Probability;
- Mathematics - Algebraic Topology;
- Mathematics - Combinatorics;
- Mathematics - Metric Geometry;
- 26 pages, 3 figures, final revisions, to appear in Discrete &