The Young Physicists Panel (YPP) summarizes results from their Survey on the Future of High Energy Physics, which was conducted from July 2 to July 15, 2001. Over 1500 physicists from around the world, both young and tenured, responded to the survey. We first describe the origin, design, and advertisement of the survey, and then present the demographics of the respondents. Following sections analyze the collected opinions on the desire for balance in the field, the impact of globalization, the necessity of outreach, how to build the field, the physics that drives the field, and the selection of the next big machine. Respondents' comments follow the survey analysis in an appendix.
- Pub Date:
- August 2001
- High Energy Physics - Experiment;
- High Energy Physics - Lattice;
- High Energy Physics - Phenomenology;
- High Energy Physics - Theory
- There is a short form and a long form of the document. The short form consists of 42 pages: the discussion, 39 figures, and a copy of the survey. The long form is comprised of that same 42 pages, followed by all the "brief comments" written by survey respondents, for a total of 208 pages