We review the holographic correspondence between field theories and string/M theory, focusing on the relation between compactifications of string/M theory on Anti-de Sitter spaces and conformal field theories. We review the background for this correspondence and discuss its motivations and the evidence for its correctness. We describe the main results that have been derived from the correspondence in the regime that the field theory is approximated by classical or semiclassical gravity. We focus on the case of the N=4 supersymmetric gauge theory in four dimensions, but we discuss also field theories in other dimensions, conformal and non-conformal, with or without supersymmetry, and in particular the relation to QCD. We also discuss some implications for black hole physics.
- Pub Date:
- January 2000
- High Energy Physics - Theory;
- General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology;
- High Energy Physics - Lattice;
- High Energy Physics - Phenomenology
- 261 pages, 42 post-script figures. Please send any comment to firstname.lastname@example.org. v2: added references and small corrections. v3: minor changes and corrected discussion of SU(3)-invariant supergravity solution